Supporting offshore drilling is a very bad idea and a huge strategic mistake for McCain for the following reasons:
1) Regardless of their party affiliation, many Americans cherish our few remaining wildlife refuges and do not want to see them destroyed.
2) Others cherish the big bucks generated by pristine coastal real estate and tourism
3) He aligned himself with Bush
4) He is advocating an idea that does not have consensus among members of the Republican Party
5) The idea shows zero creativity in resolving an important issue, our dependence on oil.
If he is running a campaign based on "Change" adopting the position of exploring alternative ideas and/or investing in new technologies would have been a better strategic move.